Archive for the ‘Luminaires’ Category
A pair of polychromatic wall lights made in Delft earthenware.
The polychromatic base is orned with sitting characters tasting chocolate.
The background consists in a draped canopy hung at a tree.
The base is enlivened with intorsions and shells.
The light is shaped in « S » and ends with a candle ring decorated with flowers.
Period : Delft, circa 1760-1775
Marks : F incised at the back
The ornamental scene is inspired by Johann Esaias Nilson(1721-1788) engravings.
Similar wall lamps can be seen in :
- D.G. Lunsingh Scheurleer, Delfts Blauw, Bussum, 1975, Pl. 35.
- D.G. Lunsingh Scheurleer, Delft Niderländische Fayence, München, 1984, P. 232, Pl. 141.
- C .H. De Jonge, Delft Aardewerk, Rotterdam, 1965, P. 256, Pl. 148 and P. 335, Pl. 215.
- H.P. Fourest, Delftware, London, 1980, P. 168, Pl. 166.
1ft 2 5/8 in x 1ft3 3/8 in.
A fine twelve lights chandelier, crowned with two circles of pendants. The chandelier is made of carved silvered and gilded wood and of a tin alloy. It is ornamented with arabesques, flowers, palm leaves, acanthus leaves…
Architect designer : Probably Karl Friedrich Schinkel (1781-1841)
There are two other chandeliers in the same spirit, one still at the Château de Glienecke, in Postdam, and the other one, a bigger one, that was at the Château de Sagan.
« Besuche vor dem Untergang », Alvensleben-Koenigswald, 1968, p.216, 217 and depicted p.208-209.
Karl Friedrich Schinkel :
Karl Friedrich Schinkel was born in 1781 in Neuruppin and died in Berlin in 1841. He was a German architect, a painter and a writer. He was Gilly’s student and began his career as a background painter. Schinkel was a firm admirer of Greek architecture and was a key figure in the spreading of the Classical style in Prussia. Promoted chief architect of Berlin, he built the Nouvelle Garde(1816-1818), along with the Theater (1818-1821) and the Ancien Musée (1824-1828). These achievements put into highlighting his acute assimilation of Antic architecture and also his vision of greatness.
In many of his works, he showed a keen interest in the Gothic style.
• « Lichter Leuchten im Abendland », kurt Jarmuth, ed. Klinkhardt & Biermann, Brauschweig.
• « Karl Friedrich Schinkel , Architektur Malerei Kunstgewerbe », Orangerie des Schlosses Charlottenburg, 13 Märs bis 13 September 1981 ;
• « Preusen kunst und Arcitektur », Gert Streidt, Peter Freierabend, Köln, 1999.
• « Karl Friedrich Schinkel », Johannes Sievers, Deutscher Kunstverlag, Berlin.
Pair of three-branch bracket candlesticks in chiselled gilt bronze, with a decor of foliage, acorns and acanthus leaves.
During the reign of Louis XV, these triple-branch ormolu bracket candlesticks were highly successful. Their ornamental vocabulary was so rich that models were never repeated. Jacques Caffieri (1678-1755) was undoubtedly one of the most fertile designers in this field, particularly for the way he twisted reeds into multiple scrolls topped by candle rings.
The decor of this pair of bracket candlesticks, consisting of oak leaves, acorns and acanthus leaves, was very rarely used and is therefore outstanding.
As for their naturalism and the presence of fruit, these candelabra can be compared to the ones by François-Thomas Germain, dated 1756, in the Getty Museum in Malibu, which display the same naturalistic tendency with the representation of fruit (mistletoe or holly) within vegetal scrolls.
Epoque : Louis XV
H.35 cm.(13 3/4 inc.)
L.30 cm.(11 3/4 inc.)
P.29 cm.(11 1/2 inc.)
Bibliographie : Pierre VERLET, “Les bronzes dorés français du XVIII° siècle. Picard, Paris, 1987. p. 297 (pour le modèle de François-Thomas Germain conservé au Getty Museum à Malibu.)
A pair of bracket candlesticks with two branches.
The branches are decorated with foliage and small bells, ending in sockets and nozzles adorned with leaves, seeds and floral crowns. The light brackets are joined by a phoenix with spread wings. The candlesticks are embellished with scrolls of acanthus leaves, flowers, ivy tendrils and seeds.
Period: Regency, early 19th century
Height 59 cm.
Width 33 cm.
Depth 18 cm.
Chandelier with 18 lights in crystal and finely chiseled and gilded bronze. It is composed of two circles of fillets bordering a frieze of laurels and flowerets separated by eight arrows, joined at the centre by a blue enameled globe and scattered with gilt stars. The basket ends with a rose and a seed-shaped knob. A panache and small palm leaves crown the chandelier from which hang garlands of crystals.
Period: Empire, circa 1810
Crystal: by Ladoupède du Fougerais, entrepreneur and owner of the Mont-Cenis crystal works.
Ladoupède du Fougerais delivered a very similar chandelier with 16 lights on 24 April 1810, for the small salon of the apartments of the Empress at the Petit Trianon in Versailles. This chandelier is illustrated in Versailles, le Petit Trianon”, by Denise Ledoux-Lebard, published by Editions de l’Amateur, 1989, p. 95, n° 61.
Height 117 cm 3 ft 10 in
Diameter 81 cm 32 in